Archive for January, 2010

So. slow.

Work has been slow.  I’ve been spending a bit of time tending to the horses owned by the University, patching up their cuts and scrapes.  Otherwise, it’s been very quiet, and I’m not complaining because it’s been bitter cold.  The foals are gonna start hitting the ground here soon!

The heel bulb laceration is doing great.  Going to trim off a little bit of proud flesh tomorrow, but I don’t expect any problems.

I acquired a skull a while back that I recently finished prepping.  This poor horse had some really interesting abnormalities.  He had a very severe parrot mouth, and several other marked dental abnormalities resulting from that, including a wave, ramps in the front and back, and very malaligned lower 2nd molars with large diastemas (gaps between teeth).  He had also had his right eye removed in the past, and he had a bulging forehead.  His skull shows evidence of severe facial trauma.  Poor guy.

Pictures of the skull after the break.


Read Full Post »

I would like this to be both a journal for myself, as well as an interesting read for those who may find this sort of thing… interesting.

To that end, I think I will organize it in a “case study” manner.  Each entry will discuss a case (with photos, if available), or update on a previous case.  Hopefully that will accomplish the above goals.

Let’s start with a heel bulb laceration, now about 4 weeks old.   I first saw the horse on December 6, and my first impression was not a good one.  She had caught herself on a smooth wire fence and had a deep laceration that not only cut through her lateral collateral cartilage (which comes off the coffin bone – “side-bones” are when this cartilage becomes boney), but it was also likely that it got into her tendon sheath.  It was too old and dirty to suture it, and referral to a hospital (which would have been ideal) was not an option.  Cleaned her up real well and bandaged it.  Antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, tetanus booster, and stall rest.

The next day I pulled fluid out of that tendon sheath, and sure enough the white cell count was high.   Began injecting antibiotic directly into the tendon sheath.  She did amazingly well.   By the end of the week, the white cell count had returned to normal, she was basically sound on the foot, and the wound looked good.

We put a foot cast on her for 10 days, which reduces the motion of the heels expanding and contracting.  When the cast came off, the wound had granulated over completely.  That was one week ago.  She’s had a light bandage on since then, and I’m very pleased with her progress.  It’s possible that a piece of the cartilage will need to be removed eventually, but for now she’s walking great, healing great, and she’s sick of being stuck in a stall.

Photos are after the break.  *graphic*


Read Full Post »